Student Media Grant Program Application Information
2023-2024 Application Period is now closed. Proposals are under review.
We will announce new grantees in January 2024.
· Cover page
· Thematic focus
· Motivation for doing this work (1/2 to 1 page)
· Planned activities over a minimum 2-month period
· Specific plans and deliverables for media (photography, film, radio, podcasts, blogs, etc.)
· (Attachment) Recommendation Letter
· Proposals should be submitted to email@example.com with “SMGP: [Name of Student, Target Country], as the subject line.
· Only one proposal can be submitted per student.
· Remember the following requirements:
1. Submit your 4-page proposal as a Microsoft Word document (Times New Roman font, 12 point, single space) or PDF document.
2. Include a cover sheet with your personal contact details, academic year, university name, and academic department. Use your academic email address to submit your proposal. The cover sheet must have the names and contact information of at least two faculty or staff at your university who could serve as references. You may also include links to your previous work (website, published articles, social media handles, etc.)
3. Attach a letter of recommendation signed by your supervising professor, in official letterhead from your university.
(What the Proposal Reviewers will be looking at to select winning proposals)
Is well thought out and provides a clear thematic focus
and/or issue to be chronicled
Proposes innovative use of media to chronicle chosen issue
Has clear goal that is related to the issue
Is pulled from a variety of sources
Motivation for Work (1/2 to 1 page):
Provide at least 1/2 page of statement of
motivation for work
Motivation is clearly focused in an organized and
Information is constructed in a logical pattern to support
the theme and/or issue to be chronicled
Planned activities span a two-month period (may include preparation for travel and editing/reporting after travel)
Provides specific plans for media/publication/blogging and indicated target media for publication
Provides clear deliverables
Budget and Timeline for Travel Plans:
Provides well-structured budget and requests amount under
the $5000 limit
Provides high leverage to project with external funds (not
required, but encouraged)
Provides clear travel dates and indicates cities and locations for travel
Majority of requested budget is spent conducting project in