STUDENT MEDIA GRANT PROGRAM
A grant for student photojournalists to cover difficult topics in conflict-affected countries through compelling photo stories.
ConDev’s Student Media Grants award up to $5,000 to current students interested in capturing conflict-related issues facing fragile and conflict-affected areas of Latin America through stunning photography. This photojournalism grant is funded by the Howard G. Buffett Foundation Chair on Conflict and Development.
To review reports & more information on each project, please click the Past Projects tab
- Renée Bertini & Juliette Gache. University: Sciences Po Paris, France. “Reclaiming Ancestral Mapuche Lands in Argentina” (Argentina)
- Patrick Egwu, Massey College, University of Toronto, Canada. “Displaced in Their Own Land: Documenting the Costs of Bandit Conflict in Northwest Nigeria on Smallholder Farmers” (Nigeria)
- Stanley Gajete, Ateneo de Manila University, Philippines,
“Strangers in Their Own Land: Displaced Families, and
Individuals from Ground Zero Five Years after the Marawi Siege” (Philippines)
- Gordon Ogutu. Dublin City University, Ireland. "Social Cohesion in Enduring Refugee Crisis: Researching Peace and Cohesion Initiatives in Kalobeyei Integrated Settlement in Kakuma, Kenya"
- Chris Trinh. Ateneo de Manila
University, Philippines. “Fighting for Water and Recognition on Guåhan” (Guam, USA)
- Ruth Matamoros - The University of Texas-Austin.
"The is no Land for Settlers: Indigenous Peoples Land Right Struggles
in the Northern Caribbean Coast of Nicaragua" (Nicaragua)
- Dylan Manshack - Texas A&M University.
"Extinguishing the Flames of Inequality: Preventing Conflict through
Developed Perspectives" (Chile)
- Sheila Sagbo - University of Kentucky. "Food Justice: Looking at Food Supply in the Brazos Valley through a Cultural Lens."
- Rodrigo Salido-Moulinie - The University of Texas-Austin. "Tired of Begging: Devotion to Santa Muerte in Mexico City" (Mexico)
- Fredy Vergara - University of Cartagena. "Caribbean: Peace and Resilience" (Colombia)
- Rodrigo Salido-Moulinie - The University of
Texas-Austin. "Tired of Begging: Devotion to Santa Muerte in Mexico
- Fredy Vergara - University of Cartagena.
"Caribbean: Peace and Resilience" (Colombia)
- Colombia. Ricardo Velasco. The University of Texas at Austin. "Memory and Sustainability for Peace and Reconciliation in Transitional Colombia."
- Mexico. Jorge Choy. The University of Texas at Austin. “Where dreams and nightmares meet: Central American, African, and Asian migrants and asylum seekers in Mexico’s Southern Border”
- Colombia. Alexis Aubin. University of Montreal. “A Wounded Land.”
- Guatemala. Nathalia Hernandez. The University of Texas at Austin. “Curanderas (Healers): Mayan Women’s Voices and Bodies in Resistance”
- Brazil. Daoud Qamar, Texas A&M University. “Living in Neglect: The People of the Hill”
- Uganda. Jessica Spence. Texas A&M University. “Photovoice over Gender-based Agriculture Issues with Smallholder Female Farmers”
- Guatemala. Maryanna Nascimento. Universidade Federal da Bahia, Brazil. “Photo with Coffee – Guatemalan Children Telling their Stories”
- Brazil. Plinio Luis Pereira. Federal University of Parana in Brazil. “Brazil: Living with Fear – The War Inside Brazil"
- Ghana. Debbie Onuoha. Universidade Lusófona de Humanidades e Tecnologias, Lisbon, Portugal. “Illegal Artisan Gold Mining in Ghana” – Not completed
- Turkey. Özge Sebzeci. Marmara University in Istanbul. “Turkey: The Struggle for Women’s Rights.”
- Kenya. Brian Otieno and Anthony Ochieng. Moi University, Kenya. “Closing Dadaab”
- Ethiopia. Menychle M. Abebe. NLA University College, Norway. “Fighting for Childhoods”
- Nepal. Purushottam “Puru” Shah. Georgia Institute of Technology. “The Plight of the Labor Migrant”
- France and Greece. Andrea Batarse. Texas A&M University. “A Day in the Life of a Refugee”
- Bangladesh & India. Amit Ghoshal. Texas A&M University. “Human-Wildlife Conflict in the Sundarbans”
- Haiti. Diana Juárez-Sánchez. Texas A&M University. “Rural Food Security through a Woman’s Lens”
- India. DJ Katju . Texas A&M University. “Ethnic Conflict and Forest Governance in Assam”
- Kenya. Ally Krupar. Pennsylvania State University. “Learning Empowerment as a Refugee”
- Peru. Jessica Gilbert. Texas A&M University. “Land Use in Protected Areas”
- Nigeria. Immanuel Afolabi. University of Ibadan, Nigeria. “Boko Hazards”
- Mali. Ryan Vroegindewey Michigan State University. “Markets and Household Food Security”
- Nicaragua. Michael Petriello. Texas A&M University. “Natural Resource Conflict”
- India. Meghan Luckett. Texas A&M University. “Boosting Nutrition through Female Ag Extension”
- Mali. Ryan Vroegindewey. Michingan State University. “Household Food Insecurity”
- Guatemala. Christopher Bieleki. Texas A&M University. “Rephotography”